Menu del sito:
The City of Turin intends to spread among young people a culture for peace, active citizenship and International cooperation.
This is why it has made it possible for Civil Service to take place within Development Cooperation projects fighting poverty and attempting to transform conflicts.
The service’s headquarters are the same locations with which the city implements its International Cooperation projects, in collaboration with NGOs, Associations, Turin Polytechnic and University.
The City intends to offer all those young people interested in working for international cooperation projects fighting poverty the possibility of being involved in this kind of activity, in the middle and long term, by taking part in a training programme and in self-organized groups, supporting Turin City’s projects in America Latina America, Eastern Europe and Africa.
The programme is also supported by experts of the International Cooperation Sector, Turin NGOs belonging to the “Cittadella delle Civiltà” Committee and Turin University.
For more up to date information on new invitations to tender: http://www.comune.torino.it/infogio/sercivol/bando.htm
The module published here refers to the civil service project approved in 2005.
|Project title||World citizens.
A National Voluntary Civil Service project located in the developing countries which the City of Turin works with in its decentralized cooperation activities..
|Duration||National Civil Service was established by Law no. 64 of March 6th 2001. Its duration, whether in Italy or abroad, is twelve months.|
|Target||Civil Service is designed for youths between 18 and 28. For the “World citizens” project the lower age limit is raised to 21 and the places available are six, in three possible locations: Breza in Bosnia Herzegovina, Campo Grande in the State of Southern Mato Grosso (Brazil) and Santo André in the State of San Paolo (Brazil).|
|General goals||- To offer young people oriented towards International solidarity a serious and deep training and personal growth opportunity consenting them to experience being International cooperation workers. This opportunity may eventually orient their life and professional choices towards cooperation projects both in Italy and abroad.
- To educate young people in project development.
- To promote a culture based on peace, active citizenship and International cooperation amongst the young people involved in the project.
- To increase the city’s awareness on voluntary and International solidarity issues, by including Service volunteers in a larger group of youths with which to promote public opinion awareness development initiatives in the local area.
- To locally promote, within the developing countries in partnership with the Municipality and/or associations, initiatives in different fields aiming for social aggregation and overcoming situations generating injustice and social conflict.
|Specific goals||Santo André
- To strengthen the partnership between Turin City, Turin Polytechnic (Faculty of Architecture II) and the Santo André Municipality.
- To collect and process data useful for designing and building public infrastructures and for the urban development and post-urban development of the centre of the city’s favelas.
- To collaborate in the completion of any urban requalification projects promoted by the Municipality of Santo André.
Campo Grande - São Julião
- To strengthen the partnership between Turin City, Turin University and Municipality of Campo Grande with the « Saõ Juliaõ » project.
- To improve the service offered by existing structures in which both local and permanent Italian voluntary staff work.
- To become integrated with the geographical area and local personnel by working in close contact with final beneficiaries and trying to pass on experiences, techniques and acquired personal skills.
- To strengthen relations between Breza associations and their Turin counterparts.
- To bring competence and experience, especially in the fields of data management and running cultural events, to local associations, in particular the one for Desnek youths..
- To participate in the research and studies completed locally and to their subsequent spreading in Turin, particularly those concerning the uterus cancer screening and prevention project «Breza Vedra» and the project «Caring for oneself: the mind and the body», carried out by the association Centar za zene.
|Results expected and principal activities||Campo Grande
In Campo Grande volunteers work within the project developed by the OASI association and the City of Turin to support the São Julião children’s hospital. In particular they are required to work in:
- the nursery situated inside the São Julião Hospital which during the day (7-16.30) welcomes children from three to five;
- Vovò Tulia home in Campo Grande, children between zero and five - that either have no family or have been taken away from their family by the Court and are waiting to be adopted - live here;
- the elementary school Don Franco Del Piano, situated within the São Julião Hospital;
The activities of the volunteers concern:
- assisting the children during the day alongside local personnel;
- building a trust-based relationship with the children that can allow them to feel the warmth and affection of a family environment;
- training local personnel on entertainment techniques, games and teaching methods;
- helping families to take care of and educate their children;
- run school and after school activities and courses on specific subjects, sports, movement and manual skills workshops.
Volunteers are required to work in the following activities, with the support of operators both in Italy and abroad:
1) Collaboration and support for the « Breza Vedra » project, screening to prevent the carcinoma of the uterus: the project, started in 2003 and still ongoing, is a pilot preventive action aimed at all the women resident in the Bosnian Municipality (approximately 7,000 potential beneficiaries). It is managed by the women’s association Centar za Zene in Breza within its own premises, appropriately equipped with medical practice equipment and staffed by a team of four nurses coordinated by a woman doctor. The project’s main characteristic is that it is a preventive project, to date never before implemented in Bosnia Herzegovina
2) Collaboration with the research associated with the project « Caring for oneself: the mind and the body ». Managed by the same women’s association Centar za Zene, the project consists of a series of conferences for the female population of the Municipality followed by a study on a target group of 1,000 women from Breza and surrounding villages, on sexuality, their couple and family life. Female volunteers will be engaged in supporting the research, collecting data and publishing the results both in Italy and in Bosnia Herzegovina.
3) Collaboration with the youth association in Desnek to design and develop a «Youth Project»: volunteers are asked to support suggested programmes with their own ideas and experiences and to follow through the phases of completion and funding, while keeping contact with the associations and reference bodies in Italy.
During the last month of the service, volunteers - with the help of their tutor and support group - will be asked to go over their experience collecting data and all documentation of what has been done in the project. Specific forms of social communication and entertainment are planned for every project completed abroad, with the purpose of increasing the sense of International solidarity amongst Turin’s younger citizens.
|Partners involved||Santo André Municipality
Architecture Faculty of Turin Polytechnic – Home city Department
Centar za Zene Association
NGO CISV (Comitato «Cittadella delle Civiltà»)
|Investment of the City:||The City of Turin, through its Civil Service Office (Youth Policy Sector) guarantees the training of the various actors involved (volunteers, local project workers, coordinators etc.) as well as the service’s administrative management.
The International cooperation and Peace sector invests specific funds to ensure activities supporting the project (7,600.00 euro in 2006).