OF TURIN MUNICIPALITY’S DECENTRALIZED COOPERATION POLICIES
The scope of the decentralized cooperation promoted by the City of Turin usually coincides with those subject matters attributed to Municipal competence by standing legislation.
Therefore, it is possible to conceive International cooperation projects with partner cities for each individual sector addressed by local policies.
This choice is based on the fact that it is clearly coherent to only promote those local development actions in partner cities that concern subjects in which the City of Turin has acquired competence, know how, good practices and expertise on the basis of which to set up intercultural exchanges.
However, the limitations to such a wide range of possible actions are at least twofold:
- The first is established by national legislation on decentralized cooperation: in accordance with article 2 comma 4 of Law no. 49 dated February 26th 1987 “New discipline of Italy’s cooperation with developing countries” the international development cooperation activities that can be undertaken by local authorities are only the following
- the design of research and studies, the provision and construction of plants, infrastructures, equipment and services; the implementation of integrated development projects and, additionally, the definition of initiatives which have a financial nature and are geared towards pursuing the goals listed in article 1;
- the employment of qualified personnel in the fields of technical assistance, administration and management, assessment and monitoring of cooperation initiatives;
- professional training and social promotion of citizens of developing countries within their own nation, in other developing countries and in Italy, also according to the aims of law no. 943 of December 30th 1986, and, further, provide training for the Italian personnel destined to perform development cooperation activities;
- supporting those projects and actions run by appropriate non-governmental organizations by sending volunteers and own staff to developing countries;
organizing specific initiatives designed to improve condition of women and children, promote women’s social and cultural development through their direct participation;
- promotion of education programmes on the issues of development, also inside schools, and cultural initiatives designed to increase cultural exchanges between Italy and developing countries, with particular attention to those involving youngsters;
- The second limit is given by the scope of partner cities’ competence: it is clear that a decentralized cooperation project on a subject matter in which Italian Municipalities are expert and competent but on which twinned cities don’t have any will evidently turn out to be pointless and unsustainable.
Given this premise, some of the sectors in which the Municipality has been particularly involved with partner cities - over these years of International partnership - are listed in the following. The list is neither exhaustive (in the sense that the local policy sectors that aren’t mentioned may have organised and run some initiatives anyway) nor exclusive (in the sense that those sectors which to date haven’t been involved in cooperation projects may well be in the future, if the partner cities will state an interest).
The projects listed under a given sector may also be listed in others: this is due to the fact that public local policies, both in the North and the South of the world, when programmed and planned systematically, cannot be imagined as watertight compartments. It is therefore quite natural that the same project may lead to results concerning several public policy sectors.
- 1. PUBLIC UTILITIES (Water, refuse management, public transport, family status Services…)
Campogrande, Cordoba, Breza, Ouagadougou, Queztaltenango
- 2. EDUCATION POLICIES
Campogrande, Salvador de Bahia, Breza, Praia, Louga, Gaza
- 3. YOUTH POLICIES
Campogrande, Salvador de Bahia, Breza, Gaza, Haifa, Louga, Ouagadougou, Kragujevac
- 4. GENDRE AND EQUAL OPPORTUNITY POLICIES
Breza, Gaza, Haifa, Louga, Ouagadougou, Praia
- 5. ENVIRONMENT POLICIES
- 6. STRATEGIC PLANNING, LAND MANAGEMENT AND URBAN RE-QUALIFICATION POLICIES
Campogrande, Gaza, Praia
- 7. CULTURAL POLICIES
- 8. EMPLOYMENT, PROFESSIONAL TRAINING AND HIGHER EDUCATION POLICIES
Cordoba, Salvador de Bahia, Louga, Ouagadougou, Praia, Kragujevac, Quetzaltenango
- 9. LOCAL DEVELOPMENT AND LOCAL AREA PROMOTION POLICIES
Breza, Louga, Ouagadougou, Kragujevac, Queztaltenango
- 10. SOCIAL (SOCIOMEDICAL AND WELFARE) POLICIES
Campogrande, Cordoba, Gaza, Haifa, Louga, Praia, Queztaltenango
- 11. HUMAN RIGHTS, FREEDOM AND DIALOGUE POLICIES
Belo Horizonte, Cordoba, Breza, Kragujevac, Queztaltenango
Torna all'inizio della pagina